Tauer's Super Valu celebratin 75th year in business
Tauer’s Super Valu was started January 12, 1941, by Edward A. Tauer. It was first located at 8 West Central Street, in the Swanbeck Building, now occupied by Tommy’s Central Street Steakhouse. In the beginning the grocery business was known as Tauer’s Food Store. In 1942, the wholesale firm from which Tauer’s were buying changed it’s name from Winston and Newall Co. to Super Valu, Inc.
In 1952, the Tauer’s son, Edward J., returned from military service and purchased half interest in the business. He became sole owner in 1959 when his father died. In 1963, Tauer purchased the Niemann property on North Marshall Avenue and built a modern, new store. In 1984, Tauer’s built a new enlarged store with bakery and delicatessen at 101 West Central. An addition to the store was built in 2005. A gas station was added at that time. The third-generation of Tauer’s—Paul and George—are now owners of the store.