St. Raphael’s School to celebrate Catholic Schools Week
St. Raphael Catholic School will celebrate Catholic Schools Week January 30-February 5 this year. The 2022 theme is “Catholic Schools: Faith, Excellence, Service.”
Since 1974, National Catholic Schools Week has been the annual celebration of Catholic education in the United States. Schools typically observe the week with Masses, open houses and other activities for students, families, parishioners and community members. Through these events, schools focus on the value Catholic education provides to young people and its contributions to our church, our communities and our nation—to form students to be good citizens of the world, love God and neighbor and enrich society with the gospel and by example of faith.
St. Raphael’s has a variety of activities and dress-up days planned for the week:
• Monday, January 31 — Students and staff dress like their favorite Disney or Marvel character. There will be “Donuts for Dudes” (for all students and male adults) in the gym at 7:45 a.m. and a Scavenger Hunt for students throughout the day.
• Tuesday, February 1 — Students and staff dress in their pajamas. There will be a School Mass open to the public at 8:30 a.m. and movies in the gym beginning at 1:00 p.m.
• Wednesday, February 2 — Students and staff dress in their class colors along with crazy socks and hair styles. Class colors are: Preschool-tie dye; Kindergarten-white; First Grade-pink; Second Grade-purple; Third Grade-black; Fourth Grade-red; Fifth Grade-green; and Sixth Grade-blue. There will be “Muffins for Misses” (for all students and female adults) in the gym at 7:45 a.m. and the students will do a service project during school hours.
• Thursday, February 3 — Celebrating the 100th day of school. Students and staff dress like they are 100 years old. There will be talent show for all students at 1:30 p.m. in the gym (open to the public).
• Friday, February 4 — Panther Pride Day. Students and staff will be dressed in green and white, the school colors. There will be swimming and fun at the Marshall YMCA during the day.
• Saturday, February 5 — Catholic Schools Week will be celebrated during the 5:30 p.m. Mass with a Build Your Own Burger Bar following Mass (6:00-7:30 p.m.) in the gym.
“Catholic Schools Week is definitely a highlight of our school year at St. Raphael. It is a time for us to celebrate who we are as a school and who we are in Jesus. I love how the week brings us closer together as a school family. In addition to all that, it is so much fun with our special events, a special Mass and dress-up days,” Principal Beth Steffl said.